Sunday, June 16, 2013

My Ode to Dads

 
 I was up early today and headed off for a beautiful morning walk. It is a lovely day here in Calgary, there was a gentle breeze and the walk was refreshing. ( just need to make it a better habit!!!)
As I walked today I let my thoughts wander over many topics... and part way through my walk Bill texted me to see how the weather was! I am thankful for his communication....just lacks some emotion at times....but I am grateful to be thought about. Of course today is Father's day....and a day where we all speak memories of our Dad's.  I looked back through my blog pages ( past few years) and realized that I haven't said much about my dad in the past. I have limited access to my photos....but I did find this favorite of Mom and Dad.
 
This is the best way to remember my dad....not that he was at his healthiest in this picture, but he was with Mom....the love of his life!! This photo was taken the Nov. before he died, at Irene and George's anniversary party. It was the last dance that they had....he died the following Feb..
I love my Dad ! He was a generous, hard working, funny, thoughtful, interesting....and so much more man!!! When my Mom was ill I made a list of memories that I made with/or of her. I've never done this with Dad....
Here  goes.................................
love that I shared his name
love the special story of my birth, and him not knowing of me for a full 24 hours.
love how he loved his own father....and took care of him
love those groggy Christmas mornings
love hearing him tell stories and recite poetry
love that he encouraged me in so many things...especially my schooling
remember the night that I couldn't sleep and he calmed me down
trips to doctors together
being in the hospital together...spring of 1976
camping.....remember the laughter that got us in trouble in Cape Breton
many journeys to PEI and Stanhope Beach
missed him at my wedding....happy and sad day for me.
loved doing genealogy together....he was such an amazing source
talks of family pirates....'you never know what you'll discover' ( was this hints of bro.Jack)
card games with so many friends, and cribbage games with me and mom
too much drinking....but it sure made him happy
trips to Newfoundland....rescuing Glenn
Pride in his Newfoundland heritage....for which I am deeply grateful
the beautiful village of Francois and our precious relatives there
trips to the trailer.....always change for ice cream
love of his grandchildren....wish he had met the great grands
pride in his children....
love for my mother!! so evident with them both
friendships...he valued them and he was so respected by so many.
handy....how could I forget that...there wasn't anything that he couldn't fix.
built my girls a dollhouse and a toy box on wheels.
pride that he expressed for Michael in the mission field
Christmas visits to watch my children open gifts, and eat breakfast with us
campfires
 
I know that I will add more to this.....thanks for the memories dad !!!! Love and miss you every day
 
  Also proud of the great siblings that I was blessed with....love them each dearly.
I know that it's a silly photo....but it makes me look short!!! I know I am. Grateful for this Dad too....or I'd never got to be a Mom!!! He's an amazing Dad and Poppy. He is hardworking, generous, thoughtful, surprising at times, unpredictable most of the time, Grumpy's biggest fan.....and so much more !!!

Now I could go on and on... but I have a second post to also write today.
Happy Father's day to all the Dad's in my life.....proud too of Michael, Jeff, and Brandon.....fabulous dads. Not to leave out Jeremy....his day will come...I love watching him with nieces, nephews, and his primary class....lots of good father potential waiting!!!!

1 comment: