Thursday, June 27, 2013

Counting My Blessings

I'm a bit behind with my blog posts....been up and back to Edmonton, celebrated Jeremy's birthday, and been fighting a cold. However...before I do any catching up I must record today.

As I mentioned I have been fighting a cold, and it seemed no better this morning. Today was a day where we had the opportunity to go to some of the worst flooded neighborhoods of Calgary and lend  service. I wasn't sure that I would be up for it, but after my early morning walk, I knew that I couldn't
stay home and I'm glad that I didn't.

I headed off with a group from our church...who have been going in every day in 2-3 shifts at a time.
WE had several things to do. We brought in 5 gallon sized containers of cleaning kits that the church mass produces for such events. These are gifts that are brought to every household, and they were greatly welcomed. The kits contain a variety of equipment to especially combat mold . As we made these deliveries we were told to seek out needs....and there was no shortage. We shovelled mud and debris from basements, carted garbage to the curb ( and there was lots of garbage), tore down ruined things...I worked on a fence project....and lots more.

NOW...I don't write this to certainly brag...I simply want to remember the experience for the humbling time that it was. Calgary can be proud of the response of its people. I met people from many walks of life....and it was like nothing that I can remember ( even hurricane Juan)
Families would be walking down those muddy streets, mothers with children in strollers....offering cold drinks, and snacks to eat to those who worked. Others showed up with their trucks to take away trash...over and over again. Everywhere people were asking, how can I help. So very many people lost so much....so much ruin! It boggled my mind to see how far inland the river reached. The people of Calgary are an amazing and resilient people.

The cleanup will continue for a long time....but Calgary will be back on its feet. I leave for Sask. in two more sleeps....Saturday....and I'm glad that I was given the energy, and the opportunity to serve these people.

So many people suffer throughout our world. May they constantly be in our prayers, and may we always be prepared to serve in any way possible....large or small. It will always make a difference!

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful that so many people are willing to help out... the devastation on the TV could never really be seen unless we were up close.

    Service is always an awesome thing :)

    ReplyDelete