Sunday, June 9, 2013

Aunt May




Happy Sunday. It is a happy day for me....I love going to church, and I enjoy teaching Sunday School. After church today I went to visit with my sweet Aunt May. She always makes me so glad that I took the time to visit with her. Her days can be long and lonely I'm sure.

She loves to chat and always tell me who has called or visited her. She gives me updates on the people who take care of her, and she is always very positive in her conversation. Today she was in another time space. She chatted on and on about her early days, as a young girl on Saddle Island in Newfoundland. She shared that there were twelve families on the island, and that two of the families were Nashes. She talked about her small house and that her mother ( our Nanny Nash) had a separate shed for carding and spinning the wool. She talked about when her each of her siblings were born, about sadly leaving school at the age of eleven, about early jobs as a servant for several families. Some were good experiences, others not so good. One story today was about working for a lady who insisted that everyone was to be fed before May had any food herself. One day she was caught eating a piece of bread, and the angry lady of the house reprimanded her, asking why she would break that rule. She replied....I was hungry!! When her father heard about this employer, and her meanness he refused to let her work there. May reminisced about her dating years, and she always tells the story about meeting her husband Harold, and sewing a button on his coat. He walked her home that night, all the way from Agricola St. ( where she was babysitting for a mutual friend) to Spring Garden Road. He asked her out that first night.

It must be something to be 100 years old and to be able to remember so many years ago. I told her today it was like listening to a storybook of her life. I was sad to say good bye to her today. I waited until today to tell her that I would be away for a while. She responded that she was happy for me, and said to bring her back lots of photos. ( especially of Jeff in his red serge...she's sweet on the uniform)

Thank you Aunt May for always making me feel special. Thank you for chatting about my mom and dad as we did today. Oh how I miss them.

Keeping cousins, you have a wonderful mother, and you have been so blessed to have her as long as you have. I will miss her when she crosses through the veil. There will be many grand reunions!!
 

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely tribute to you Aunt May... this was beautiful Jackie :)

    ReplyDelete