Tuesday, June 11, 2013

AH-HA

I have tears in my eyes as I begin to write this post today. They are tears of gratitude for a loving Heavenly Father who knows my heart, and my needs.  It is 11 am ( 2pm at home), and I'm just beginning my day. Yesterday was technically 27 hours long, as I flew from my home to Calgary, and switched time zones. It was a wonderful full day. I was loving welcomed here ( even Jeremy welcomed me in with the Dunford traditional scare!! Got to love that boy!!!) and after settling in for a few minutes Laura and I were off to Costco. We returned home to purge the rhubarb patch and then cook up some yummy treats.

Laura and Jeremy had an evening commitment which gave me time for a short nap, and then I headed to Annie's for some birthday celebrating. Laura joined us later and then it was home for a bit more chatter, then I collapsed into bed. I awoke early in the morning, probably NS time, but afforded myself the luxury of some reading, which sent me back to dreamland.

I am full of gratitude this morning because I needed this release from life. Just to rest, and rise when I chose. That does sound selfish as I reread it....and I certainly am not complaining about my life before yesterday....no complaining here. Sometimes though we need 'mental health' days just to clear the cobwebs of life. I'm sure mine has many cobwebs ( I'm not the Martha Stewart of clean houses)...but all metaphors aside...we need timeout sometimes, and we generally don't afford ourselves many of these days....unless we move to an island to be totally alone. I came to Calgary, not quite an island.

I'm grateful to be here with Laura, to feel free to relax and to collect my 'mental health'.
When I came upstairs this morning the house was still very quiet. I know that Laura and Jeremy have strange sleeping habits, and were probably up late. That's fine with me...cause I got to enjoy the peace and sit and read from General Conference. As I read I received one of those wonderful blessings from Heavenly Father. Some might even call it an ah-ha moment.

I turned to a talk by Elder D.Todd Christofferson called Redemption.( p109) Now here is my ah-ha moment. In this talk he speaks very simply ( for me) about Christ's Atonement. Now this may shock you.....but I don't always 'get' the depth of the Atonement as it applies individually to me. I'm not even sure that I can verbalize what happened as I read this....but bang...I got it today. And it is simple...one phrase that started my moment said
" Redeem can also mean to rescue or set free as by paying a ransom"
There is a lot more in that paragraph...but wait.....I think I should put more...quoting from his address...

Among the most significant of Jesus Christ’s descriptive titles is Redeemer. As indicated in my brief account of immigrant “redemptioners,” the word redeem means to pay off an obligation or a debt. Redeem can also mean to rescue or set free as by paying a ransom. If someone commits a mistake and then corrects it or makes amends, we say he has redeemed himself. Each of these meanings suggests different facets of the great Redemption accomplished by Jesus Christ through His Atonement, which includes, in the words of the dictionary, “to deliver from sin and its penalties, as by a sacrifice made for the sinner.”2
The Savior’s Redemption has two parts. First, it atones for Adam’s transgression and the consequent Fall of man by overcoming what could be called the direct effects of the Fall—physical death and spiritual death. Physical death is well understood; spiritual death is the separation of man from God. In the words of Paul, “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive” (1 Corinthians 15:22). This redemption from physical and spiritual death is both universal and without condition.3
The second aspect of the Savior’s Atonement is redemption from what might be termed the indirect consequences of the Fall—our own sins as opposed to Adam’s transgression. By virtue of the Fall, we are born into a mortal world where sin—that is, disobedience to divinely instituted law—is pervasive. Speaking of all of us, the Lord says:
“Even so when they begin to grow up, sin conceiveth in their hearts, and they taste the bitter, that they may know to prize the good.
“And it is given unto them to know good from evil; wherefore they are agents unto themselves” (Moses 6:55–56).
 
I still cannot find the words to say what these words spoke to my soul...but I will just say.....thank you for reminding me of what the Savior has done for me, and the great gift that He has given me. If anything I think the word HOPE is what I feel today. Before this ah-ha moment I had more HOPELESS in my soul. The Atonement erases hopelessness. We have so much to look forward to because of the gift of the Atonement. Above all it will be to be with the Savior and to hug and thank him.
 
Life can be hopeless on many levels....but when we come onto the Savior, repent, and covenant with him life gains purpose and direction.
 
How grateful I am for modern day revelation, a prophet and apostles on the earth once again, and the full Plan of Salvation made available to us all.
 
I am deeply grateful too for my loving family, for my eternal husband, and for the blessings that pour into my life each day. I often neglect to notice them. I hope that I can do better today!!! God is good, he loves me, and he has more patience than I can ever imagine.
 

Let's get the show on the road.....6:30am June 10th

Middle seat...grin and bare it

Hooray....I made it


Yummy rhubarb

 

Instant insanity

she is GOOD

Spice cake and Pennoci (spx) for the birthday girl!!!!!

Happy Birthday sweet Annie

Love this girl so much!!!!
   All for now....
 










1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you Jackie that you are getting some free time to just come and go as you need... it will be great to refuel you, we all need that sometimes.

    Also, it's wonderful you had such a beautiful experience... I hope to have one like that one day soon myself :)

    ReplyDelete