Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A reflecting Pool

My mind is racing with thoughts this morning. Sometimes I wish that I had a little secretary in there to take notes. I actually rolled over and turned off the alarm clock this morning and talked myself out of going to the pool. Then that other little angel that sleeps on my shoulder pushed me to the floor and said get moving!! Thank you little angel. The floor is a good place to start the day. ( no Bill didn't push me out!!)

The pool and the Temple are two of my favorite spots for the same reason. In both places I find peace, and escape from the rush of the daily thing that await us each day. Today the pool was just that. I was greeted by a variety of swimming friends ( just like at the Temple) and then I dove into my own little world. As I swam back and forth, I reflected on so many things ( here's where a swimming secretary would be nice) Somehow or other I always find that I think about my mom a lot when I swim. ( I do at the Temple too)

I remember doing something just weeks before she died. As I daily sat by her very sick shell of a body, I madly started to write down many of the special memories that I had made with her. I was afraid that I would forget them ( I know myself well) and I'm glad that I did. ( I plan to post them someday soon) This got me of course thinking about my role of motherhood, and what memories I have made with my children and grandchildren. I wondered what memories are special to them of me...and also of their grandmother.


I do fret a lot about my lack of memory..which I understood that whole physiology!! Thankfully I have many photos of my days with my children...but here are a few that came back to my brain this morning as I swam ( and yes I drove all the way home and still remembered)




Michael....your beautiful birth....the back pain before., a little boy in white at the Washington Temple, sitting on a cherry pie,lego times, the bad Christmas present ( I am so sorry!!), lots of basketball games ( soccer too..but I loved the basketball best), the neon shorts, broken leg at the corn boil, embarrassing picture taking before your Jr.high prom, finding you asleep behind the couch, winning the foul shooting contest, passing the Sacrament,seminary, fainting on Temple Square, tears at the MTC, reunion in France, my own special letter from the mission field, your beautiful daughters arrival....your introduction to fatherhood, your face holding precious Finley at 2 weeks, your vigil next to Emmy ( what amazing strength)and lots lots more.


Kathy......always giggling, your very lady like nightgown when you could just walk, your painfully slow growing hair, your mischievous smiles ( your kiddies come by it honestly) , soccer days...'the boot'...you sure could kick, lots of friends, interest in cooking, cross stitch days, the Back Street Boys, video days on the front lawn,Spice girls, seminary, the dead cat, driving behind buses, late nights at McDonalds, girls camp ( I wish that I had been there...you always loved it so much but didn't want me there),picture taking, wedding planning with Jeff, your fun reception....so many people, with so much great dancing, the birth of your children...such a gift to be there...you were amazing, talks, struggles, hugs, piano, Primary President, card making in club,so many thoughts through my mind.


Karen.....on the soccer field when just an infant ( in your carriage), my blondie, such a happy baby, barbie dolls, summer fun club, so creative, so patient with children, your gorgeous smile, clothes, best friends, sleepovers, Dad's team of girls, BOCA, shopping, ROOTS,photos, seminary....scripture mastery, boy friends
( long relationships), prom dresses, singing at the Jr. High ceremony, card making long before everyone else, wall photos, so organized, so neat, middle child
( someone had to do that job and you excelled), coordinated wedding, such a beautiful bride, wonderful auntie, so friendly to others...even cards to Marguerite, RS President,books, thoughtful messages......and so much more



Laura.....One more sister for Mike, baby buried in the bears, bump on your head, heart murmur, only one to use a soother, cute hats, sports, sports, sports,...injuries, St.Pats Alexander, race cars on the ceiling, sport road trips, hot tub visits, driving friends home, ginger cookies, meeting at the stairs, surgeries,braces, blogging, photos, Waikiki, RS President, drives to school, seminary, great listener, adventuresome, parties, Lawtons, boyfriends, traditions, organizing my house, great music, board games, cooking lessons,lost blankets, QEHS closing, and much much more.



I know that these are just things that have danced through my head today......so many memories...so grateful for photo albums.Wonder what their special memories with me would be.

Every time I go to finish a sentence another memory pops in. I may be editing this post often.

Thanks for the memories kiddos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment