Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Man

Bloggers note before I write much....thank you to Laura for inspiring me more this week to write. She helped create my first blog book which I will state here...is hers to have after I leave this world. But that's another story...here is today's 'remembering'.
Second note...I've changed my blog's name to 'REMEMBERING' because that's what this whole exercise is all about. That word is also very important to me.....But that's another story too!
TODAY, as I enjoyed my drive to the Temple, the city was beginning to wake up, and I had some time to reflect. Today I feel that I want to tell you my thoughts about the man of my life, and my husband for 35 years.

One of my favorite pictures of the two of us.

Where to begin? I think it's important to say that he wasn't the kind of guy that I got all dreamy eyed about when I first met him. He was majorly shy,very thin, had never dated, did I say majorly shy....and he didn't dance. Now I don't want to paint toooo wild a picture but I was fairly outgoing, had dated lots, and I loved to dance. But we were meant to be together...... and after a separation of over 4000 miles ( I tried to escape him), some dance lessons, some group dating, and a night at the movies ( We saw the Sting). We started to date. We really became good friends, and I felt like a queen when I was with him. Bill was so thoughtful, and easy to get along with. He was still very shy!!!! ( I showed him how to kiss....I was his first....and I'm the only one that he's kissed...other than the children!!!)

I got to know his family ( they scared me a bit), and then he decided to go and serve a mission. He was called to the Swiss Geneva Mission and I supported his decision wholeheartedly.He headed away and letter writing began. Just a note here...Bill and I were both fairly new converts to the church. For him the experience away became overwhelming and some doubts in 'self' crept in. So his mission was cut short and home he came. That was tough decision for him and one that has haunted him for many years. Nonetheless he came home, and we continued on our friendship. By Christmas of that year (1974), a lot happened....Bill moved into his own apartment, I was teaching full time, and on Christmas Eve ( with his mother in the room....remember she scared me) he presented me with a little box...and a sweet diamond ring....and of course the big question. NO he didn't get on his knee. I was ready for the Big question....and obviously said yes.

Plans were made for a wedding the following Sept.. I really don't remember why we picked that time...the summer would have been better. August brought a serious illness to my Dad, and the wedding was postponed, and postponed, and postponed....Fri.Dec 5th we were married before a small gathering of family and friends....very small. My father was still in hospital, and my mother cried as we made our wedding vows. I later learned that the tears were because Dad was having surgery early the next morning that he might not pull through but it had been kept a secret from me....so I wouldn't postpone. Dad didn't want me to wait any longer.

I didn't plan to go into all of that story....there was lots more to follow ....my grandmother died in Feb., I miscarried our first child in March, and dad came home from the hospital in April. A rough start....but it brought us closer together. Bill was my strength then, and on many many more occasions I would see what a great support he would be. (Especially in later years as both of my parents, aged got ill and died)

What I really wanted to say is that I love this man. He and I have aged together and like many aged things we have our scars to show it. We have raised four wonderful children, welcomed seven amazing grandchildren, adopted two son-in-laws, and a delightful daughter-in-law. We have had three different homes, the last one for over 25 years. We have had many joyful times...he was amazing at the birth of each of our children. We have worked hard together to provide many things for our family. We have travelled together...my favorite being Hawaii...his Disneyworld!! We have fought and cried together ( well I'm the crier). We have not always been deliriously happy. Many couples would have called it quits if they had lived with us....but we have worked through these trying times. We have learned patience, compromise, patience, and unconditional love. We have learned that marriage is hard work, but I can say without a doubt....it has been worth it.
Would I have backed out of this if I had seen the rough patches ahead....maybe.....but I knew that I was meant to be with Bill and because I knew that..... I don't think that I would have looked elsewhere.

I felt that I needed to state these things today because life can be tough ....and sometimes we have to step back and understand the trial to get past the problem. Life certainly isn't perfect for me.....but I am married to a man who does love me, who provides for me and our family, who sacrifices, who will protect me, who will always be there for me. He annoys me in many things but I'm sure he could make a list about me too!!

As we get older together I will continue to be thankful for our marriage, our family, our tests and our trials. I will continue to be prayerful for a greater eternal union and I will be patient. I have much to be thankful for and when I focus on this long list, the shorter annoying things seem pretty unimportant. I have faith in our union....our earthly one, and our eternal one.

We may never live in a castle ( too much cleaning anyway) but we will have a life together that is overflowing with many many many happy things. We have grown older together and I think the best is yet to come.

Me and Grumpy ( His favorite dwarf)
REMEMBER this...it won't always be easy, if you want the best you have to work for it.
FAMILIES ARE FOREVER
and I KNOW this is true!


A great 'Poppy' and the man that I love.
If you haven't told your man yet today that you love him...what are you waiting for.!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment