Monday, January 17, 2011

How's Yours ??

Yesterday, Sunday, was a great day. This was recorded in my Sunday post. Today I was able to receive a copy of one of the talks that so impressed me. Thank you to Lis Drage. I want to remember it....so I am posting most of it right here for me and anyone who cares to read it. Our world can easily pull us down....but the suggestions in this talk will certainly lift you higher. I hope someone reads it...and you are impressed as I was...I loved it so much that I'm posting the whole thing....but note the part in bold type....

Building Spiritual Strength
Today I was asked to talk on Building Spiritual Strength. When Br. Whalen gave me this talk I kind of laughed...actually I complained bitterly at first... I told him...that's not what I want to talk on...and he said, that’s what we need you to talk on. It's not that I don't agree on the importance of spiritual strength, but when I started looking up scriptures and talks about building spiritual strength, it pretty much said, fast, pray, read your scriptures, and keep the commandments.... How do I make a 10 minute talk on something so basic....Fast, pray, read and keep the commandments folks....done...My first talk in church when I was 17 years old, was on the progression of Peter from fisherman to disciple to apostle to leader of the church! Great challenge, lots of research , long talk.... But this? fast, pray, read and keep the commandments.

So since I knew I couldn't sit down after 30 seconds, I figured I better find another angle to talk about.
So here it goes.
Why do we need spiritual strength, why do we have to be building it?... After a large earthquake in Peru, a family who had lost everything they owned expressed their happiness for having their whole family survive. Elder D. Todd Christofferson said this "This tender demonstration of faith and spiritual strength is repeated in the lives of Saints across the world in many different settings. It is a simple illustration of a profound power that is much needed in our day and that will become increasingly crucial in days ahead. We need strong Christians who can persevere against hardship, who can sustain hope through tragedy, who can lift others by their example and their compassion, and who can consistently overcome temptations. We need strong Christians who can make important things happen by their faith and who can defend the truth of Jesus Christ against moral relativism and militant atheism."
Elder Kent D Watson of the Seventy said "With increased spiritual strength, we are able to develop self-mastery and to live with moderation. We learn to control our temper, our anger, vanity, and pride. With increased spiritual strength, we can protect ourselves from the dangerous excesses and destructive addictions of today's world."
Throughout the scriptures, there are examples from the early old testament continuing on to this dispensation of how God has tested his people with trials and tribulations, the purpose of which was to weed out the spiritually strong from the weak. Which side do you fall on?

Building anything means taking what you have making it bigger, better, or stronger. None of us are the same, nor is our spiritual strength the same IF it was actually measurable. But every one of us is capable of taking our current spiritual strength and building , or growing it more. That's what the gospel is all about, progression... doing a little better and continually working on different aspects of our lives so that slowly,.... slowly but surely, we are turning ourselves into something better. One of the worst things we can do in any aspect of our lives is stall our growth because we begin to think we are doing well...therefore, we stop trying to do better. We get comfortable,... confident that our current efforts are enough.
In a book titled "I challenge you..." Paul H Dunn wrote "Good is the enemy of best; and the thing that most do not realize is that it is not much harder to achieve the second than the first. Rather, it is a question of which you expect of yourself." I had and elementary teacher who used to chant to us often...”Good better best, never let it rest, until your good is better and your better’s, best”
So how do we become spiritually stronger. First you need to honestly assess yourself and recognize where you are in each aspect of the gospel.... what needs improving?
I have seen more than enough teen magazines in my lifetime from having 3 daughters. A common favorite article in many of these magazines are the self quizzes you take to measure how social you are, what personality type you are, what skin type you have, how kissable you are. You assess yourself and honestly answer the questions to come to a conclusion about yourself..... SO, I have decided to make a self quiz for you....each multiple choice question covers some aspect of the gospel by which you can gain spiritual strength. Answer the questions to yourself.... do NOT raise your hands, be honest, and take note of where you might need improvement. The questions are NOT meant to judge, they are meant to make you assess yourself.... no one knows your answers but you.


1. Fasting, which closest describes you?
a. Oops, is it the first Sunday of the month already?...forgot again
b. I haven't eaten since last night, I'm hungry, cranky, and I am planning out a 5 course meal in my mind. Don't talk to me, I may bite.
c. I started my fast with a purpose but soon after I get home from church I plea low blood sugar and eat lunch....I'll try again next month.
d. I started my fast with a prayer for a specific cause, I pray often throughout the day pleading with God for answers to my prayer, I end my fast in thanksgiving before enjoying my meal. I also realize, I DO NOT have to wait until fast Sunday to fast.

2. Prayer, which category do you fall into.
a. Start my day with my alarm ringing, rushing into the day forgetting to pray. End my day dropping into bed, asleep when I hit the pillow. Surely God knows I'm thankful for what I have and he must know what I am in need of.
b. I remember to pray only when things are going bad
c. I say a prayer in the morning and at night. I do have a habit of saying the same words or phrases, and as soon as I say amen, I am either off and running in the morning or jumping into bed into bed at night.
d. I plan a time for prayer in the morning, I pray, thinking about what I want to say, about what is relevant at that time, I take time to listen after I pray, waiting for promptings from the spirit to answer my prayers. I pray often through the day, sometimes for assistance, sometimes just to say thank you, I always pray at the end of the day repenting of my sins, and again, I take time to listen for whatever the Lord would want to communicate to me

3. Reading my Scriptures : which best describes you?
a. I think I own scriptures....where did I put those??
b. I have every intent of reading the book of Mormon...I think I've read 1st Nephi chapter 1 more than anyone else in this room...but after a few days or even weeks, i slack off, and forget....only to start over again another time.
c. I read my scriptures daily, one chapter a day, that's my goal. I miss a day here or there, but I'm fairly consistant.
d. I pray before I read my scriptures. I read my scriptures for an allotted time at a certain time each day. Sometimes I read a chapter or two, sometimes just a few verses, but I read thoughtfully, checking cross references, and making sure I understand. I ask questions, and take notes. I read from all the standard works.

4. During the administration of the sacrament...
a. I think to myself, Ug, I didn't eat breakfast in the rush to be late for church. That little piece of bread is going to do nothing for my growling stomach
b. I focus on the sacrament prayer, but then my mind wanders to other things , like lunch, or upcoming weekly events, or the kid who is kicking my seat behind me
c. I listen to the sacrament prayers, say a quiet prayer of thanks for the Saviour’s sacrifice, I remember my promises I made to follow him . I recognize my shortcomings of the week before and think of ways to improve myself in the coming week. If sacrament is still not over, I read my scriptures or a sacrament hymn

5. Service to others. Which is you?
a. Please don't ask me, please don't ask me, please don't ask me
b. I really don't have time for this, I'm using my gas money, our food, my time, for someone who isn't even grateful. No one does this kind of stuff for me !
c. I do whatever is asked of me, and then continue on with my life
d. I pray often for opportunities to serve others. I LOOK for opportunities to serve. I am happy to serve others. It helps me focus on something other than my own problems

6. Sharing the Gospel....What do you think?
a. That's the missionary’s job
b. If someone asks me a question, I answer it the best I can and then change the subject. I am really not comfortable with discussing gospel related subjects.
c. I look for opportunities in conversation to bring up my beliefs, not to challenge others, but to share the gospel
d. I pray for missionary opportunities. I carry an extra book of Mormon with me to give to someone I meet through the day. I bear my testimony whenever possible and appropriate. I am not afraid or embarrassed to stand up for what I believe.
7.Home and Visiting Teaching..... Which best describes you?
a. I don’t want to talk about it
b. It’s hit and miss.... I’m really busy....insert one of hundreds excuses here as to why I can’t get it done.
c. HA 100%... again...perfect record...yes it’s the 30th of the month....doesn’t matter, it’s done!
d. I visit my families/sisters and invest an interest in them. I get to know their kids’s names, their birthdays, their story. I show my interest so they can learn to trust me, to share their needs. I want to serve them and look out for them. I call them if they are not at church. I pray for them.
These are just a few aspects of the gospel,..... each one a way to build spiritual strength. I do not have a scale to rate how you did . I CAN tell you that if you answered all A’s, you have lots to chose from to improve....If you answered all D’s, don’t get a big head, you are doing well in these areas at this point in your life, there are plenty of other things to improve upon. And like physical strength, spiritual strength can deteriorate if not worked on daily.

Hopefully you recognize some areas needing improvement. We are all human and we are all able to improve and grow , but we need to make the conscious decision and a conscious effort to do better. Never be satisfied with where you are. Be careful not to become complacent or lazy. Pick something, anything, and do a little better at it than you have been doing. The rewards and blessings will be yours. You will feel and recognize your spiritual strength increasing .

That's it...just the spark that I needed to reflect on my state of spirituality....how is yours ?

1 comment: