Friday, January 7, 2011

hello folks

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm not feeling so good tonight. I've had a long day with the grand kiddies, and I have a cold that just is bringing me down. Tonight is one of those many nights that I am truly missing you. How I'd love to be in your TV room, rocking in a chair beside you, maybe watching a game show on TV, or just chatting. Tonight as I've missed you I am crying those tears that just never seem to leave my heart when I think of you. I know that I really never thanked you enough for all that you did for me. I appreciate the safe home that I lived in and the many happy gatherings that we had there. I love that you trusted me in many of the decisions that I made, and that you were there for me when the decisions weren't the best. You were always one of my best cheerleaders, always interested in what I was doing but you also respected my privacy. You gave me a home that my friends enjoyed coming to, and I was glad to share with them. Mom, you always had such great dinners, and I don't think that I appreciated them until I had to do it myself. I know that I didn't offer to clean dishes like I should have. You must have been frustrated with me so often but I really don't remember you expressing that very much. You had great friends who all speak of you still, and miss you too. Your home was always open to them, and I enjoyed it when you had company. There were always good leftovers.
Your life wasn't very easy. Dad ,you worked very hard to support us and let Mom be at home to raise us. I didn't like it when you drank, or lost your temper....but that doesn't change the love that I still have for you. As you aged we became much better friends, and I will cherish many of the times we spent together , talking and sharing. I still remember the day that you came here and chatted with your brother in BC on MSN on the computer. How I wish that you'd lived long enough to see some of the crazy technology that we have now! ( maybe not!!)
Mom...you were always a saint to me. Even though things were tough between you and dad, or one of my siblings...all I remember is how patient you were. You seemed to see beyond the immediate problems and knew that things would work out. Your example has always been important to me. I loved all of the things that we did together, especially after dad was gone. I am so grateful that I lived so close to you. I am grateful too that my children loved you and knew you as they did. How I wish that you had met your great grandchildren. They are so awesome, and such a blessing in my life. I often feel that you did meet them before they came to this earth. I sometimes sing a familiar Newfie jig to them when they are just babies and their eyes light up. I felt your strength when we received our fragile little Finley and Emmy.
It's late and I am getting up early to attend the Temple in the morning. I often feel your spirit there too...I can almost see you sitting there all in white.
I miss you and I wish that I had appreciated you more. I guess that most of us feel that way when the opportunities pass. Thank you again for being the wonderful parents that you were, and for giving me the many happy memories that I treasure. Know that I will never forget you, and I look forward to being a forever family, with you someday.

Love your daughter, and proud to be ....Jackie

PS....I wish you could write back!!!
PPS......anyone who reads this...if you can, hug your parents the next chance that you have and even if they aren't perfect, or they drive you a little crazy.....remember that they loved you first!!!

2 comments:

  1. BIG hugs to you... this was really sweet mom and brought tears to my eyes and made me miss nanny and grandad even more too. They were wonderful grandparents and we were lucky to have lived so close... they were always good for a yummy treat (rice krispy treats with sprinkles or candies from the bowl) they always were around for special days too like pre-school graduations!! They are missed, but they've left behind a wonderful family!! Love you lots and all you do for all of us!

    love you and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, make me cry at 6:23 am!! You couldn't have said it any better. I still cry tears over missing my Mom and I don't thin it will go away and as for not saying things enough to her... there are too many to write down!
    I say the same to people all the time and I am always in wonder when people don't want to as I was blessed to have a Saint for a mother too! ;-)

    Love and hugs...
    Terri

    ReplyDelete