Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Farewell John

 
Today I attended the funeral for John Bottomley. I felt a need to blog about this gathering today. John was my sister Dianne's first husband, the father to my niece Jane, and nephew Paul. His death was quite sudden, and he was in his 66th year. He lived in the first home that he and his father constructed. He was a community man and very dedicated to the Fall River volunteer fire department. He loved the outdoors.
These were some of the sentiments mentioned today at the beautiful memorial service that was held for John. His children did a marvelous job, as did his brother Gary in eulogizing John. The music was beautiful, and the minister very engaging.
Some of my John memories are of the cool high school football player and his sporty green convertible sports car. I also remember the summer that he and Dianne motorcycled to California.
I thought they were crazy but so adventuresome.
I was very moved by the tributes paid to John today...... the fireman who stood along the church entrance as we exited the church......the lovely reception organized for his family....and the great outpouring of love from friends and family.
Two other things really moved me about today.
John's love for the outdoor was obviously inherited by Paul, as he and his wife Mary kayaked to the funeral...along the Shubie Canal water route.
Jane followed John's passion for the fire department and has served as a volunteer fire fighter, and then went on to study for her nursing degree.
Today she brought his ashes to the church in the firetruck.
I
 
 
 
This is a recent photo Jane took of John, the grandfather with
two of her three daughters.
He loved his children, and his grandchildren.
 

 
  I'm glad that I was able to be a part of this beautiful memorial. Jane and Paul...you have many memories to treasure, from a dad who I know loves you and is very proud of you both.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment