Sunday, August 4, 2013

SUNDAY REFLECTIONS

It's a lovely sunny Sunday here at home. I'm heading out to visit with my sister, Julie shortly but while I have some quiet moments I thought that I'd post some Sunday thoughts. I do love my Sunday activities, especially church.

Today at church we had the confirmation of Adam Hay by his dad Alex. He was baptized last night. Alex spoke about his son in his testimony time, and it was dear. We've often seen this young man visit with his dad every summer so when his dad spoke about his son choosing to live here it was very touching. I loved how Alex spoke about his son, especially about his favorite scripture in the book of Ether.

We also saw a grandfather bless his new baby grand daughter, and it was a very sweet blessing.

Testimony meeting was very spiritually uplifting...with many special testimonies. I was especially touched by the missionary testimony, and Roberta Evans. ( Loved the part about the 92 yr.old lady who said she started each day making a choice...choose to be miserable, or choose to be happy !!)
 I felt impressed to bare my testimony...as I sat there I thought about the feelings that I had as I returned back home after two months away. At first the house felt very different, unfamiliar in funny ways. My reflection from this was how will we feel as we return to our first home in heaven. What should I be doing so that it feels more familiar to me?

After sacrament it was my turn to teach in Sunday School. The lesson was building the kingdom of God...as we learn from the example of the early saints in Nauvoo Illinois. There are so many powerful examples of a people who willingly sacrificed to live the gospel to it's fullest. This period of time in church history gave us the doctrine of Baptism for the dead, Temple endowments, and the wonderful organization of Relief Society. It was certainly a wonderful time on the earth as many people flowed to the teachings of the gospel. The story of Wilford Woodruffe's missionary efforts was amazing, as 1800 people came to the church through 8 months of his missionary efforts. How I wish that I could find those who are searching better. It was a good lesson.

Before Relief Society, brother George Evans asked me to attend his setting apart as our new Sunday School Pres. I was honored to be asked, and grateful to attend this blessing. He will be a good SS Pres. Relief Society was a good meeting. Our Relief Society Pres. Eileen taught today. She started talking about a quote that she had read recently. I too love meaningful quotes so I went looking for it
 
Eileen then taught an excellent lesson about how and where we hear God's voice. It was the icing on the church cake!! Thank you Eileen...you are a wonderful  RS President.
After church I made a visit with Aunt May. It was a tender time, and it hurts my heart to see her life so slowly ebbing away. She has such a peace about her and she has taught me much with her example.
I came home after her visit, rested a bit then went to Julie's. I picked up David along the way, and we had a yummy breakfast supper with Julie Bill and Ally. Julie, David and I went upstairs to the patio and enjoyed a beautiful warm evening breeze while viewing the basin...it reminded me of how much I love living on the ocean. I only wish that I had taken a photo. Here is one that I took in April
add more green and sailboats...and it might be close to today's view

We had a great visit and I am so grateful for the love of my sister Julie. She is such a wonderful sister, and she makes me feel so loved and of importance. She is such a precious example in my life.
I stopped by Karen's house on the way home to pick up something and to get some Olivia time. She didn't disappoint....she is so adorable! It was good to visit with Karen too...it is her sixth Anniversary and Brandon was at work.
Driving home I thought about my sister and my three girls.
I love them each so much. I'm grateful that my girls have each other despite the miles. While each of them is certainly an individual.....just as their names intertwine....their talents and experiences of life are of value to each other. They don't always have the same perspective about some things, but I'm thankful that they love each other, they listen to each other, and they are  there for each other. Be that way always girls...and be patient with each other, especially when you don't see eye to eye.
Be kind to each other.
 ( my Mommy taught me that)
It will only get better girls....especially when you get old like me.
 I love my two sisters!
 
Thanks for a wonderful Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment