Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mental Health

There has been an ad on the TV for the past few weeks featuring an Olympic person ( I forget the sport) but she spoke about her battle with Mental illness. Yesterday was even designated as Mental Health Day in Canada, and so I want to add my two cents.

I think we all have periods, or degrees of Mental Health issues. Mine came several years ago while I was still teaching. I always felt a black cloud hanging over me, waiting to almost suffocate me. I cried a lot and very easily. I usually sluffed it off and blamed some family crisis for it until one day, while sitting in my Dr. office...I just couldn't pretend any longer. I cried and cried that day and told him I just didn't feel like I could fake it much longer. Something very deep rooted was eating me from the inside and I was scared. I had many of the stresses that everyone has, but I just didn't want to handle them any longer. I felt totally unable to......I felt anger,hatred,frustration,unworthiness,unappreciated, and many other adjectives. My wonderful doctor sat with me for some time, calmed me, and then proceeded to help me see that this was something I could handle, if I'd just let someone help me through it. He also helped me to understand that when the body is experiencing this there is an actual chemical imbalance in the brain...leading to the kind of feelings and thoughts that I was having.

This was so scary but at the same time it felt so good to have someone who was listening to me and who knew what was happening. Starting that week I was given anti-depression meds and I began to visit with a counsellor. Both prescriptions lifted me from one of the deepest holes that I have been in. I still have my moments, and this type of imbalance will be with me indefinitely, but what brought me the cure was that I learned how to recognize triggers, and I learned how to deal better with them. I still cry, but the tears are healthy tears, and my black clouds are just passing now. My attitude has determined my altitude, and I feel so much more in control of who I am.

Why did I write this personal tale.First because I needed it recorded in my blog. Second
because I think that it is nothing to be ashamed of admitting.I also hope that it might serve some good to others who are passing through this passage of life, or who have someone that they love who is struggling. Talk to someone who will listen,talk to someone who can professionally work with you. Lastly pray for the strength to overcome.

4 comments:

  1. I have had those times too... although, I thought it was something that I just had to go through and I haven't had any in a very long time! Thankfully... they are a hard thing to deal with. (very improper sentence there! ;-)

    Glad to feel that it was normal and that I was not the only one.
    Thank you for sharing your personal tale.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted this Mom. You are strong. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think more people than we could imagine deal with this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you for posting this Jackie! It's so personal, but nothing to be ashamed of. You are a strong person and I really admire you! We should all be working towards being mentally healthy the same way we work on being physically healthy.
    xo

    ReplyDelete