Saturday, February 12, 2011

Farewell for now

Yesterday I attended the funeral for a two year old named Ian. He is the twin brother of Evan,and they are neighbors of mine. Ian died a little over a week ago. His parents,Louis and Megan have been understandably in deep grief at Ian's passing.

I felt that I needed to post about this event in my life for several reasons. One to say one last farewell to a precious little boy who had such a short journey here on earth. We will all miss Ian. Secondly, to acknowledge the grief of all parents who have a child die. I cannot begin to fathom the deep sense of such a loss. As people often say...a child shouldn't die before the parent....but that's not always how it works. Third, to affirm to everyone how precious life is and that we should more earnestly strive to be kind and loving to our families and friends. Ian was so deeply loved by all who met him. Life is truly a short journey. Lastly....with my sadness at this experience with little Ian, I once again have been strengthened by the knowledge that the gospel gives me.....there is a plan for each of us, and that there is more than this life. Above all Families are Forever...and I am so grateful to have my family forever.

Despite his short time here on earth....Ian accomplished much. The service began with his father,unfaltering reading the story of young Ian's life. Some highlights from this ( his obituary) said the following; " His favorite sports involved balls-whether they could be kicked,rolled,thrown or carried it did not matter. Favorite pastimes included collecting cars,trains,and dabbling in the culinary arts-he loved his kitchen. Ian's chosen vocation was a race car driver....he loved music and appreciated the piano lessons, at both Grandpa and Grandma's; and at Dave and Crystal's....He loved to help clean up; whether it was potatoes at GG's or grapes at Grandad and Gram's. During adventures in the past year Ian created artwork that hangs on the walls of the most important galleries and refrigerators in the world....he climbed mountains in the Colorado Rockies, dove and swam in the frigid Atlantic, rode a train across the northeast countryside, and mastered his chosen musical instrument- the harmonica.( note here that Ian was born with a cleft palate and had several surgeries to correct this)...Ian gave many pat-pats and toy tosses to his beagle Charlie, who looks for him still. He enjoyed pub-lunches with his Mom, Dad and Evan, and was the undisputed highest jumper in the world.....He made us all better people; was loving and loved, and made friends everywhere he went. He is missed and will be forever missed. 725 and all wonderful" ( I dont understand the last remark but felt that it must be significant and I should include it)

Ian Marc was born Feb.6,2009. I am grateful that I met him along his short journey here on earth.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how sad. I think the "725" might mean how many days he lived. just popped into my head. I can't imagine what they are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad. Like you, I am so grateful for eternal families and the peace the gospel brings and the comfort that comes from knowing there is more after this life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I bet Tamara's right about the number. Makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I immediately thought of with the 725. So very sad but I am so sure that they will someday see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant imagine losing a child! My heart breaks for Ians parents and brother! It makes me so grateful for the knowledge of eternal families! My cousin is good friends with the parents, and flew back there to sing at the funeral.

    ReplyDelete