Saturday, September 5, 2009

Every Saturday I get up very early and head off to the Temple. While I've been assigned to be a Temple worker, this has to be one of the most enjoyable jobs on the planet. I work with the most pleasant people, and everyone who comes there is smiling. When I start my day it is always so very peaceful and quiet.
Today, as I drove to the Temple, I realized how much going there is like our journey here on earth. I knew where I wanted to get to today so I followed a specific road(s) that would get me there. There were many side roads, and other things to distract me. I could have stopped at numerous places along the way. And that's kind of what we do in life....we detour, we visit, we get side-tracked, and sometimes we get plain lost.
I knew what I wanted to do today, and where I wanted to end up. I knew what I needed to get there, and because I stuck to my plan or goal I made it there. So often in our lives it just comes down to following the right road ( good choices), listening to directions,( our leaders,scriptures,commandments,etc.),and having a destination ( back to Heavenly Father)

Well, that was my symbolism for today.....but what I also kept thinking while I was there was where is everyone? Don't get me wrong....even when just a few folks show up....I love it. I wondered how good a job I've done as a Mom to encourage my children to want to be there. I've been so very very blessed that the first three have married in the Temple, and #four has that same goal. I also remember as a young Mom how horribly busy my life was raising my family, working, etc.. We didn't have a temple close by so I didn't think too much about it. But now we see Temples rapidly filling the planet. There is a reason for that!!

Where am I going with this ramble...well this is to everyone who might read this...not just my wonderful children!! Set goals, be it only once a month, or once every two weeks....something....because I can tell you that you will receive more direction, and knowledge by going to the Temple than you can ever imagine. You will come to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost more in your life. You will know a peacefulness that cannot be found outside of the Temple. You will connect with your family for eternity. I know that this is so true!!!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post and I really like your analogy of choosing the right roads and avoiding the distractions along the way. I have learned so much from you over the years. You are such a great example and you have a wonderful testimony. I'm so glad you're blogging so I can continue to pick up little tidbits here and there from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great calling to have.
    I just visited some family where the temple was three hours away and it made me remember what a blessing it is to have the temple so close.

    ReplyDelete