Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday madness

Well this has been a strange Monday. Backup....wild week....plus....
I've so much to write and I well intended to do so today....but three hours later and I'm just getting to this page. I want to write about ....birthdays...Laura's and Karen's...parties....game nights....Temple....Newfoundland.....but before I do this is what I'm feeling inspired to post. I recently wrote the following letter to my grandchildren...present and future...they haven't received them yet as I want to add some personal messages to each letter. However...they will each receive the following because I want them to know this part of me....I also want it recorded to my memories.
April 30th 2013

 

Dear present and future grandchildren (I'm expecting a few !!!)

 

    This is Nanny Jackie. My first grandchildren call me that. I used to wish that I was called Grandma Jackie....but you can call me anything, as long as you know me. Even though some of us haven't met here on earth, I know that I love you. You are a part of my eternal family, and that's because I am a member of the true church on earth, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...and I have made eternal covenants in the House of the Lord, the Temple.  Each of my children is mine for eternity, and each of them has married in the Lord's Temple. Your parents will hopefully teach you all about the Temple, and I will too. I hope that you come to understand the importance of the Temple long before you even enter it. Can you tell how much I love the Temple? It is the most peaceful place on earth, and you will come to know the Savior, Jesus Christ, and your Heavenly Father when you attend there. You will also receive amazing blessings at the Temple...most importantly the map to follow to return to our Heavenly parents.

      Okay, the Temple is very important to me. I also want you to know that Family is first for me. Even though you will have times when you don't want to do what your family wants, and your friends influence you to be someone else....in the end....it's the family who are always there for you. They love you most. Parents do know many things...listen to them!!!!!!!! It will not always be easy to do that, but they have an eternal perspective....please just trust me.

        Dear child....I want you to know that you are a child of God. I know that to be true. The gospel has been restored to the earth, and you are so blessed to have been born to a family that knows this.. This gospel will answer all questions that you have...but you will have to do your part.

       What is your part....read the scriptures...no, don't just read them, study them and treasure them.

       Attend church...all of your meetings and serve God and others. It won't always be easy...nothing is...the church is perfect, but the people in it are not. They will make mistakes, but you must remember that they are learning too.

      Seek to know the Savior, and what great gift he gave you. It is called the Atonement and it will help you through every trial that you encounter. Jesus loves you, and he gave his life for you. He understands you better than you do. I love Jesus Christ, and I know that he loves me and you.

      Lastly, pray. Pray with your family and pray by yourself. When you pray you are talking to your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. They know you best and they want to help you always. Learn about prayer from the scriptures, your parents, your teachers and your leaders. It is a very very special gift from your Heavenly Father. He knew that you would need to call home so he gave you the best way possible, prayer. I know that he hears us when we pray, and he answers us always.

        Thank you for choosing to follow Jesus. I know that you chose him because you are here on the earth. He was the right one to follow.

       Be good, honest, and above all kind to everyone. My mother, your great grandmother, Mary Durnford told me to, 'Be kind to each other'. She was telling me to be kind to my brothers and sisters. It was the last thing that she said to me before she died. I love my brothers and sisters, and my parents. I have tried to teach that to my children, and I hope that you will value these words. Love your brothers, sisters, and parents. Be a kind person.

   I hope that I meet you soon and that you will always know how much that I love you.

                                                              Love Nanny Jackie
 

FAMILIES ARE FOREVER.
 
********************************
I will also add to this post that I have experienced yet another Mother's Day. This day has changed lots for me over the past 6 decades from making cards for mommy, giving her breakfast in bed, flowers, etc...to becoming the mom...to seeing my girls become moms....to becoming a grandmom....to missing my mom.
Thank you children for making me become a Mom.
Thank you to my mother for my life.
I love and miss her deeply.

 

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful Jackie... something your grandchildren will treasure forever :)

    ReplyDelete