Thursday, December 27, 2012

More from Momma

Good morning world.

  So my day began with a good morning text from my insomniac in Calgary. I absolutely LOVE how much that she keeps in touch with me.....day and night. I never turn off my phone because I want to be always available to my children.
  So my 6am wake up ( 3am Alberta) began...My husband has turned me into a night owl...maybe they're trying to get me to join their flock!!! What a HOOT.
 
  It's now noon, I'm still in my jammies, I've had my morning cough session or two, nibbled a bit, face timed with Jessica ( love her fun calls), chatted with a few friends....and oh yes received an unusual call.

   A few weeks ago our phone rang and Bill answered to be told it was a wrong number. He didn't recognise the name, but later in the day when I was checking the phone I saw the name and recognised it as my Jr.high school teacher. ( I could write a lengthy post here about Jr.high) I called back the number and when she answered I said who I was and she was delighted to hear my voice. She didn't recall calling the wrong number but before ending the call I told her that I would drop by soon to see her. I actually did attempt to see her a week or so later but she wasn't at home.
  So today the phone rings and it took me three rings to get there. Just as I picked up, the phone stopped ringing and the caller was gone. Caller ID...the teacher...I quickly called the number and she answered. 'Hello..this is Jackie Durnford calling.' Why hello Jackie....so nice of you to call. I explained the missed call and she had no recollection of calling me !!!  Spooky eh!!
She chatted about how glad she was to connect, asked all about my Christmas and told me much of what she had in our original first conversation!! Do you think that she will assign me homework soon??? I am going to visit her when this virus leaves my body!!! More stories to come

  I also revisited General Conference this morning. Pres. Uchtdorf gave a talk...Of Regrets and Resolutions. My visiting teachers taught from it in November and it really spoke to me. We've just finished teaching the Book of Mormon in S.School and as I've reflected on a final lesson this talk resurfaced in my mind. What would the regrets be of these Book of Mormon people...and their resolutions ? What would the world be like if they hadn't made the choices that they did.
CHOICES....they determine so much....
Pres. Uchtdorf said the following...
" The older we get, the more we look back and realize that external circumstances don't really matter or determine our happiness.

We do matter. We determine our happiness.

You and I are ultimately in charge of our own happiness."

Further...he said this

One day we will take that unavoidable step and cross from this mortal sphere into the next estate. One day we will look back at our lives and wonder if we could have been better, made better decisions, or used our time more wisely.
To avoid some of the deepest regrets of life, it would be wise to make some resolutions today. Therefore, let us:
  • Resolve to spend more time with those we love.
  • Resolve to strive more earnestly to become the person God wants us to be.
  • Resolve to find happiness, regardless of our circumstances.


This talk is so wonderful, and inspiring. If you are reading my blog I will ask you to please go and either, read or listen to that talk. It will inspire and uplift you. We are so blessed to have such wonderful disciples of Christ to direct His church on earth.

In a previous post I stated some of my mother regrets, and Laura sweetly told me that I shouldn't feel this way. I am mortal and I do feel regrets. This talk reminded me to look ahead. Thank you Laura for all that you said to me.

Before I close this post I'm feeling some gratitude attitude seeping out....

-love my family....more and more everyday.
-grateful to be a wife,mother,grandmother, sister, aunt, friend
-Durnfords...so grateful for my heritage...best parents and siblings
-nature...love the cycle of the seasons, especially fall, spring, summer and winter ( in that order)
-gospel...it is my eternal map....such precious knowledge
-Temple....wonderful to be invited to the House of the Lord
-lessons learned

I have been known to say that I usually only get sick when I need to slow down. Just have been taught the lesson again. Quoting Pres. Uchtdorf one last time....

Isn’t it true that we often get so busy? And, sad to say, we even wear our busyness as a badge of honor, as though being busy, by itself, was an accomplishment or sign of a superior life.
 
Is it?
 
I think of our Lord and Exemplar, Jesus Christ, and His short life among the people of Galilee and Jerusalem. I have tried to imagine Him bustling between meetings or multitasking to get a list of urgent things accomplished.
 
I can’t see it.
 
Instead I see the compassionate and caring Son of God purposefully living each day. When He interacted with those around Him, they felt important and loved. He knew the infinite value of the people He met. He blessed them, ministered to them. He lifted them up, healed them. He gave them the precious gift of His time.

A few more pics from East Coast Christmas
The Queen is pouring
such imagination
loves to help!!!( Just like her older cousins did!!)
Yes,Fifi we're doing your hair first!!
Hot times...look at those poor cheeks
Presents anyone
Loving all of Mom's new books
Olivia's birthday decorations
(her MOM is awesome)

-

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I am stealing that quote about being busy to post on my blog this Sunday. It brought a lot of great thoughts to mind!! Thanks for being the best Mom. I love your blog and silly humor. I do hope you keep doing it more. You are loved xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an uplifting post as usual Jackie, I am happy to see you have written back to back posts... I will read this talk tonight :)

    ReplyDelete