Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas reflections 2012

I read my daughter's blog everyday. She rarely misses a day, and she inspires me with her writing. I had planned to create a book from my blog but it would have many blank pages...haha! I also sometimes think that what I record doesn't really make much difference to anyone including me.
But as I end yet another year I do feel drawn to just write.

This is Christmas Day. It has been like no other. I didn't have to fill a stocking, or wrap a gift late last night. I didn't have to wait for everyone to fall asleep. I didn't sit and watch Bill pass out presents. I didn't cook a turkey dinner, or even eat one....this is not a seasonal pity party....it just has been a day like no other.

This year was the year of moving and wedding. My family has been split in half and I will be the first to say....I don't like it. There, I said it but it won't change a thing.  My children who remain here in Nova Scotia both have in-law commitments so we actually planned an early Christmas. We also had a special day to include and that would be Olivia's first birthday on Christmas Eve. Michael and his family were to come up early and stay until after the birthday. Monday night I got a call that I was needed at Michael's to help with the girls as Keah was in bed sick. I spent Tuesday there, and with Keah still under the weather I offered to bring the girls  to Hfx. to get them away from Mom, and to give Mom a break. Mike and Keah would follow by Friday once school was out. By Thursday both girls were under the weather, Finley running a high Temp....and my throat getting stingy.Mike and Keah came that night . Friday ,Bill cooked us a grand turkey dinner and after dinner we opened gifts and had Christmas.
By Saturday, I was feeling worse, and Mike and his family packed and headed back home.

Sunday, I visited a walk in clinic to get some answers. I left there with two inhalers, and a viral bronchialitis diagnosis. Back home I rested some more until Karen and Olivia arrived to make birthday preparations. Let me just say that Karen is so creative and she decorated and planned an
amazing first birthday party for our sweet Olivia.

Dec 26.2012

I'm going to insert a thought paragraph here. I just wrote a note to Stephanie Nielson. She is the writer of NieNie dialogues, and the book Heaven is Here. I read that book through Christmas, and it was incredible. Absolutely, incredible. It spoke so many great truths, and was such an inspiration.
Thank you Stephanie Nielson.

Now back to Christmas. It was very different on the actual day.It was quiet, and yes a lot lonely BUT
I got to chat with all of my children, watch the Fab Five open gifts in Saskatchewan (via face time),
face time with Laura and Jeremy, and phone calls from Mike and Karen and other family and friends.
With my sick state, and missing everyone I wasn't the best company. I could actually say Bah humbug back to the Grinch. I'm sorry that I got that way because it certainly didn't invite the spirit to my home. Reading 'Heaven is Here' certainly gave me the mind shift that I needed. I am such a blessed individual, and I have the answers to so many of my questions because of the knowledge that
has been given to us through the gospel of Jesus Christ. My tests and trials still are hard, and I will always want my children closer.

I will close with some Momma pride. Each of my children have grown and begun their own families. They are all at different stages, but I glow with pride at the adults they have become. I learn much from them. I reflected the other day about what I could have done better with them, but that served no purpose but to put myself down. I tried to give my best, and in the future they will look back and say...why didn't I ????
     Kids just let me say....love your spouse, no matter what weirdness they some times do. Remember who you are, and where you began. Keep your TEMPLE covenants, and look at your family with your eternal eyes. Speak gently ( I regret that I didn't always...I regret it sooo  much)
Pray with and for your family. Attend to church duties, even when they are not what you especially want to do. Be  a good home teacher/ visiting teacher. Go regularly to the Temple. Study the scriptures. Stay in close contact with ME...cause I love you the most!!
Happy Birthday Girl!!!
 
sweet sweet Olivia

new jammie
toy joy with sweet Georgia

Sorry I didn't take many photos...I'll to round some more up for another post!!
I'm back. I just enjoyed making turkey soup with Laura and Michelle. Hope it tasted good. I also found some photos from my phone.
tea time
cheesy
smiles for nanny
deeeeelicious

me too
on the stairs
 
birthday jammies
ready for bed
my birthday tutu
eating my birthday cake

6 comments:

  1. Jackie, I love reading your blog.. I always feel uplifted and I can feel the spirit with your words. Write when you can, I normally write daily, it has been a little less lately. I have been working through a few things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sure miss being with everyone but we know without a doubt we are where we are supposed to be. We hope that maybe next year we can convince you to come in person for Christmas....holidays just aren't the same but thankfully our other friends missing family do come.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you....you are correct...but I will always miss you and the family!!I'm grateful for you and your growth.

      Delete
  3. Look Mom! You get more comments then me and even a pleasantly uplifting one from Kathy. I never thought she'd admit that's where she is supposed to be but I am glad to hear it. I loved your post, I always do although there was one part I didn't understand. Why do you beat yourself up wondering what you could have done better for us? You did everything awesome except for passing down a good short/long term memory to me. If I had that I wouldn't need to call you all the time asking how to make simple things. None the less, I appreciate our time spent on facetime and I love learning from you. You are an amazing mother and I value all the things you taught me. I aspire to be like you every day and it's the things you taught me that are making my family happy {Jeremy, Vanessa and Michelle}. Our home is always filled with Jackie's love because of the person you raised me to be and because of your kindness and thoughtfulness. I could go on more but this isn't my blog.. your birthday is coming. Perhaps I'll talk more about you then. Anywho, loved all the photos from your phone I never saw. You should text me more of those please. I especially love seeing Mike & Keah with the kids on the stairs. That made my heart ache. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete