Sunday, December 5, 2010

December 5th 1975

It's 35 years ago and a day that has changed my life forever. I began the day, Friday like most Fridays by going to my classroom. I was teaching grade three at the time, with a tough little group of kiddies. ( but that's another story) Many of the staff thought that I was crazy to even show up that morning....after all it was my wedding day.

My original wedding plans , originally planned for Sept.1975 were drastically streamlined over the Sept.-Dec. period, and almost didnt happen. My father had been hospitalized with a series of infections that would keep in hospital until April 1976. We planned for October, then November, and with Dad's urging we set a Dec. date. Bill was thinking that it might never happen. We cancelled our reception, and gathered as an intimate group of family.

I finished teaching that day at noon, thanks to my fellow teachers who covered my classes for the afternoon. I got my hair done, visited with Dad, and then in the early evening hours was married in the home of my brother Eric. ( that's another story too) Bill and I were married in front of his fireplace and with a mirror in front of us I watched my mother silently cry as her youngest daughter was married without her daddy. Dad and I often joked later about the fact that he missed my birth too because he was ill...strange coincidence. My bridesmaid was my sister Dianne, and Bill Farmer was best man.

Following our wedding ceremony, and light refreshments Bill and I escaped for a honeymoon weekend in the Annapolis Valley....a light snow was falling. Unbeknownst to me my mother was crying because she knew that dad had some major surgery booked for the next morning, which might end his life. She made Bill promise not to tell me, for fear that I would postpone again. Part way through Saturday morning, Bill let the secret be known ( figuring that no one had called with bad news) We quickly packed and returned to Hfx. Dad had indeed pulled through, but would have have four more months of hospital before coming home.

So that's how my life with Bill began. ( Sorry for leaving out the honeymoon details!!) We have now been together for 35 years....some happy, some challenging, some exciting, some same old same!!! We have four wonderful children that bring us much joy, and seven delightful grandchildren ( so far)

As we reach this milestone it has not been without it's tests....many more than I've liked...but all ones that have been points of growth. It is on that note that I feel reflective tonight. Neither Bill or I are near perfect, and our differences have often put strain on our life together, but as marriage partners we made a commitment to each other. That commitement has brought work with it but for anything to progress it takes work and patience.

It hasn't always been easy, but it has been worth it. I am married to a good man. He loves me despite my differences, he has always supported our family, and he is someone that many can count on. He has many strengths that make him the special husband that he is.

Love you Bill, Happy Anniversary.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!!! You post kinda made me tear up....For some reason I had the 6th in my head this past week......hope that it was a nice day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to two of my favorite people...hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete