Saturday, March 16, 2013

Dianne Nash Durnford Quimby

If I accomplish anything today it will be this blog post. It has actually been a busy day, but throughout the day my thoughts have drifted several times to think about my sister, Dianne. You see today is her birthday. As I spoke with her tonight ( she's in Cape Breton), she was having a celebration for her big 65th birthday. She was spending it with her three oldest grandchildren, Elyssa, and Bill. They were eating out in Inverness when I caught up with her.

Tonight I want to dedicate this post to her!!

Dianne was born to Jack and Mary Durnford on March 16th 1948. She was the third child born to Jack and Mary....and I obviously don't remember much of her childhood as I wasn't around. I do know that she had some vision issues that required surgeries at a young age.


We don't have piles of childhood photos....but these three magically appeared in my photo searching for this post. That's her with older brother and sister,Eric and Julie. Even though they weren't twins...looks like mom liked to dress them alike. The three of them sure were cute!!
I entered the family three years later, making Dianne the middle daughter, and with Glenn's arrival six years later....Dianne took ownership of the sibling middle spot!!

Now remember that my blog is called Remembering...but I'm a little lacking in that area so far as any spectacular childhood stories go about Dianne. I do remember that we shared the upstairs attic room...Julie and I in a double bed and Dianne in a single. She had her own corner of the room....just the way she liked it. Another memory of Dianne was her dark straight hair and bangs. She also liked to wear alot of eye make up. ( I will comment here that both sisters wore makeup and neither taught me how to use it...and I still can't to this day...thanks ladies!!)

A funny family story has kicked around for years...and even though I only remember the straight haired sister....she apparently did sleep with large hair rollers....which we must have had to share. Oldest sister Julie is known to have gone to the sleeping Dianne and removed one side of her rollers...and you can imagine how she looked the next day...bet there was some yelling that day.

Dianne attended Queen Elizabeth high school, and went on to nursing school (VGH) following high school. Her high school boy friend waited for school to finish...and Dianne and John married after nursing school. They had two beautiful children...Paul and Jane. They made there home in Fall River.
I also lived in Fall River for a few short years. I actually lived directly behind Dianne and for some of that time she helped out with my two oldest.....oh remember when they all got the chicken pox.

Dianne, was an incredible nurse and specialized in the care of premature babies. She advanced in many areas of this nursing...instructing others, creating special devises for infant care( beautiful incubator covers)...and I know so much more. She was very well respected by her peers, and I for one am very proud of her accomplishments.

Despite her many nursing experiences...there was still more adventure ahead for Dianne. She divorced her first husband, and for several years added the role of working single parent to her resume. At this point in my reflections, I will add that Dianne was a very determined woman. She provided well for her children, and overcame some huge challenges. I will insert here that Dianne had some awesome other talents....she knitted some amazing sweaters, and she was my smocking teacher!!

One of Dianne's favorites ( beside Gone with the Wind- Bill still remembers taking you to see it...and us watching you cry!!!) was to listen to guitar music , especially that of John Denver.  Sorry that was a long introduction...to her man Bill Quimby. They met and I don't know if it was his good looks, youthfulness, or the guitar music...but they married and a new happily everafter began.!!! Now a family of five...adding Bill and his sweet daughter Ellysa...they moved from the city to the valley and then eventually to Cape Breton to be near Bills aging parents.

Dianne retired from her nursing and life took some new directions.  The Quimbys became antiquers...and operated several shops. Dianne also returned to the wool/yarn  arena and added a weaving loom to her toys....and voila....a gifted weaver is born. I'm obviously leaving out hundreds of details...but let me just say Dianne you impress me beyond description. You are such a powerful example to me for your amazing skills and your...never quit attitude.  You have accomplished so much in your 65 years.... and I'm so proud to have you for my sister. Despite not being close by...we're always able to pick up where we left off. I only regret that I haven't spent more times with you. I've always come away from our short visits...saying she is so interesting...you are on my bucket list...longer visit!! ( what an awful sister I am)

Time for photos....
 
Oh yes...you were by bridesmaid....what an event that was!!
Gee we were such cuties....I know you're thinking...'she's done it now!'
 
 
remember this event....waving at the Queen....
dad and his girls!!!
 
special roots!!!
 
 
A very special family tribute for our mother.....
 
The guitar man....who sang to his wife on their wedding day!!!
 
 
 
Family....always so important to Dianne
 
 
 
I should end here with some great quote or song by John Denver....but Dianne instead what has popped into my head is how very much you are like our mother....a gentle soul, wonderful mother, devoted wife...strong and talented. ( Cute too)
I do see a lot of Mom in you and I know that she was very proud of you, and the beautiful accomplished woman that you have become.
 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIANNE...SO GLAD TO CALL YOU SISTER.
 
 
Love you
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Awe... what a beautiful tribute to your sister... I learn so much about you through your blog Jackie, I love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today as it happens I needed an address and googled that person, got their address then for fun googled myself.....look what I found!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU - you are a gift and I think our immediate and extended families will be thanking you for your writing for years to come! (and to think it was your birthday yesterday and all you got from me was a little card!)

    ReplyDelete