Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's day Mom

I am feeling a very strong urgency to write and I have three thoughts on my mind....First thought...my parents...especially my Mom ( it is mother's day tomorrow) so this first post is for her. Lacking the smarts to scan and get a super picture, but still wanting one..I took two pictures to post to this story.


                                              
 
  This picture is one of the last dances my parents had together. My father died three months later. They were such wonderful people, and deeply in love. My mother missed my dad every day until the day that she died, two years later.

This is a favorite picture of my mom. She usually wore glasses, but had removed them in this picture to bob for apples with her grandchildren. I can almost hear her laughing when I look at this photo.

On Aug.31.2000 as I sat by my mother, in the peace of her nursing home room, I wrote a special entry in my journal. It had been a very difficult year for our family, and most especially for mother. Without going into all the medical aspects of her decline....I wrote that day....
"I still can't believe that this is how her life has ended. Her body is slowly closing down, kidneys barely producing, no body movements, conversation, or acknowledgements. Yesterday she ceased swallowing.While the time with her and my brothers and sisters is very tender and special, I now find myself longing for her to go home to Heavenly Father. Sometimes it is because of exhaustion, but more often it just feels so helpless to see her laying there barely alive."

I went on to say....
  " I was thinking about Mom this morning and reflecting on things I remember most about her.
( I then proceeded to make a long list....
Going to the grocery store
Price is Right
Wheel of fortune
Esquire for chowder
Hair appointments at Sears
Camping at Whispering Winds
Soccer and Basketball games
Christmas mornings
Fixing the flowers at the Graveyard
Planting in her yard
Never letting me pay for things
Attending church together
Walking through the Temple together
Playing cribbage
Clam chowder calls
Shopping for Christmas gifts
Picking her up at Sears
Remembering catalogue numbers
Her special poem to me about being a good mother
Helping her with pets ( oh that Skipper)
Shovelling snow together
Doctor's appointments
Eating grapes
Sharing her with friends( everyone loved to hang out at our place)
Interview for my first teaching job
Visiting in my class
Walking to my house, and just showing up
Newfie poker with the kids
Taking care of Dad together
Spending time with grandchildren
looking at photo albums
Sorting out medications
Sharing books
Watching 'Who wants to be a millionaire, and Touched by an Angel'
Visiting with old friends and neighbors
House sitting for the Hatchers ( moving the ornaments)
Trying to find Eric Hann's ( did the sign really say Cape Breton...ooops)
Outdoor Nativity
Dinner at the Logans
Partners playing cribbage with Corwin and Vera
Walking in the Public Gardens
Lunch with Donna and Aunt Irene (Le Bistro)
Tending the African Violets
Filling bird feeders
Building a new shed ( leaky at times)
Going to the movies
Ice cream at Avery's( and lots of other places)
Getting those Christmas cards off
Talks with Aunt Annie,Edith, Uncle Eric, and Aunt Mable
Attending funerals
Church suppers and sales
Father's Day lobster supper at All Saints in Bedford
Wheelchair walks
Trips to the Vets
Rice Krispie squares
Thanksgiving dinners
Easter brunch
Quiet talks
Gentle tears
Missing Dad
Driving to Bridgewater to see Glenn
Wedding showers, Baby showers
Minding my children ( what a big day it was for Laura when she could cross Connaught Ave to visit     nanny and go to Potties)
Coconut candies in the candy dishes ( mint chocolate too)
Checking on Aunt May ( oh that phone)
Checking in with Aunt Rene and Uncle George
Doing a 360 on the ice in that blue something, ford maybe, at the corner of Geo.Dauphinee and Peter Lowe ( why didn't I drive out Chebucto Rd)
Encouraging me to keep teaching ( oh the first days at Richmond)
..........................................................and on and on....I have  a post for each line written...

Sept.8.2000
Yesterday my mommy died. I had the choice blessing to be with her and I pray that I will never forget this great blessing. It was quick, it was peaceful. I knew the moment that she crossed the veil. I miss her so deeply already


That entry closed with this final thought....
     Mom, you were the best. My memories are precious and dear to me always. I will treasure you always. I know you are with Heavenly Father and I will see you again. How great will be that joy.
FAMILIES ARE FOREVER.

As I end this post I hope that I have given each of my children, and grandchildren precious memories too. Our families are the best friends of our lives and it is my hope and prayer, that we all realize this, overlook the imperfections, and treasure the gift of these people in our journeys here on earth. I love you Mom and dad. Thank you for being mine.

2 comments:

  1. So... this made me cry like a baby. I miss Nanny and Grandad... and I'm not even gone and I already miss you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words and thoughts, Jackie.
    Happy Mother's Day to you.
    Love,
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete