Saturday, May 7, 2011

Final thought

So my final thought of the day has been on my mind for quite some time. Recently I found a photo of myself from back in the early 1970's. It was probably taken in the spring of 1971. On April 6th, 1971. I became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have thought a lot lately about my conversion, and knew that I needed to record this important event in my life. First the photo. These are the two missionaries who taught me about the restored gospel. Elder Timothy G. Peel is in the navy suit, the other is Elder LeMonte Barker. I will be eternally grateful to them for the sacrifices they made to serve here in Canada, and to find me.

So, here is my story. I grew up in a church going family. We attended St.Phillips Anglican church and I had many happy experiences there. I attended Sunday school, Brownies, regular Sunday services,  sang in the choir, helped in the church nursery and in my early teens was good friends with our minister's daughter. I knew most Bible stories, and I felt good about my understanding of God, Heaven,and Jesus Christ. However.....I often wondered...and I didn't always feel that I knew enough, church didn't answer some simple questions I had...or in other words, something seemed missing, or incomplete.
       December, 1970 my sister Julie and her husband Bill came home for a visit from California. During this visit I was introduced to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( Mormons) through this sister. Julie and Bill had joined the church in California, and invited family to attend church with them. The only congregation met in Dartmouth, and I decided to attend with them. The group was small, but very friendly, and the meeting was interesting.
        Julie and Bill returned to California, and that seemed to be the end of this church for me. However, the Lord had a different plan for me. Two missionaries, Peel and Barker were serving the whole of Halifax city. ( I learned this many years later....) but they were prayerfully seeking to find someone that the Lord would have them teach. They decided to fast for an entire day with the full purpose to be guided to someone prepared by the Lord. They had even decided to drive to the top of Citadel hill to pray at the end of their fast. A snowstorm began early in the afternoon, but up the hill they went. They pleaded with the Lord for some direction...and came away from the experience impressed to travel to the west end of the city. As they drove they felt the strong impression to stop on my street. Again the Spirit led them on ...and a knock came to my door.I invited them in, and knew then that my life was changing. My parents weren't quite as welcoming, but didn't stop me from meeting with the missionaries for the next few months.( that's another story)
            As the message of the Gospel was shared to me, I remember feeling that this was something that I knew before. It made sense, and it felt right. Many of my questions were answered, and above all I learned where to go to find more answers. I discovered that God really did hear my prayers and on several occasions, through these learning months, my answers were confirmed.
             I was excited to learn that Christ's church was once again fully restored, as in his day. Most especially I was happy to  learn that we had a prophet on the earth once again. I had always wondered why we stopped having prophets for the Lord to direct his church. I learned that this life that I was living was all part of a special plan....I knew where I came from, why I was here, and where I was going. I learned that I am a child of God, and He loves me dearly. The priesthood authority has been returned to the earth, and I prepared to be baptized through this authority, the same way that Jesus was baptized. I was baptized on April 6th 1971 ( Easter Sunday)
           That was forty years ago, and it is the best thing that has happened to me. Since those early lessons, I have learned so much more. I feel a much closer relationship to my Heavenly Father, and my elder brother, Jesus Christ. The plan continues to be my map in life. It has helped me individually, and as  a wife and mother. One of the great joys of the gospel, is the knowledge I have of eternal families. Again through the powers of the priesthood authority, Bill and I were sealed as a husband and wife for time and all eternity. Our children are also sealed to us under this special Temple covenant. I love the teachings of the Temple, that bind me to generations of my family.
          How grateful I am that the Gospel was brought to me...through my sister, and then by inspired missionaries. How thankful I am for the gift of the Holy Ghost ( received at my baptism) which is a constant source of strength and direction. I appreciate the moral teachings of the church which have certainly helped me in many individual ways, but again especially when raising my family. The world would pull so far in the wrong direction, but the Gospel has been a great light in my life.
           I would testify to any who would hear me or read this...that I know that God lives, that Jesus is the Savior of the world, and his Atonement was for each and everyone of us. I know that Joseph Smith was the first prophet of the restoration, and that Thomas S, Monson is the Lord's prophet at this present time. He is assisted in this great work by twelve apostles, and many other amazing teachers and leaders.
I also know the Bible to be the word of God, and the Book of Mormon as an additional witness of the Savior.
          The gospel has brought me great joy, and hope in a very troubled world. My only wish is that more people would seek this plan, and that they would pray to find this truth. Prayers are answered, the Gospel is true. I cherish this knowledge that I have, and know that there is still much more ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, it's powerful. I love hearing/reading people's conversion stories.

    ReplyDelete