Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Once upon a time

I just felt like I need to share my latest 'favorite' thing. Actually it was something that I did with a passion many years ago and now it has returned !! Am I confusing you all?? Now this might not excite too many of you but my passion is for genealogy, and most especially taking it to the Temple. I love going to the Temple. Before I mention genealogy I have to thank Tami for her aspirartions for 2010 and visiting the Temple. I go to the Temple every Sat. as a Temple worker but Tami's thoughts made me realize that I need to attend as a patron too. Anyway,I've made it a plan to attend at least once a month as a patron...and I'm trying to encourage a friend of mine to attend with me. We went today and it was wonderful for the both of us.

Now back to genealogy...hats off to the church leaders who have given us so many wonderful ways to do genealogy. The New Family Search program is very user friendly, and I'm loving exploring it.Long ago when my Dad was still around, I collected a lot of data for my side of the family and thanks to my sister Julie ( really she did all of the Temple organizing!!!) we have lots done. However...on the O'Hearon side we have been slack...Bill being the perfectionist that he is thinks that you practically need their dental records to send it to the Temple but this week we actually got some of his family names to the Temple. It was so exciting to do this. I have to tell you non-genealogists the Spirit of Elijah is alive and well at the Temple. Talk about a spiritual rush!!!

Now, I writing this because I think you younger generation need to know that this is not just for we old folks to do!!! NO NO NO....a few months back at one of our Temple meetings, Pres. Blake shared some info from the teachings of the prophet ( I forget which one) where we are told that genealogy needs to be done by ALL members of the family. That all family members should know their ancestry and participate in family history as much as possible. As a mom I'm not too sure how to get that happening better in my family. Think about it folks...what do you know about those who you will be with for eternity??

I really miss having my folks around to talk about my deceased relatives. Dad and I had some great yarns about the old days when we did this. I treasure those memories with him, and Mom too!! So if anything I want to encourage my kids, and the rest of you to take the time....better still make the time to know your family history. ( while the 'older' relatives can help you)

There are many many people waiting for you to do the work. Check out New Family Search...come to the Temple, and catch the Spirit of Elijah....you can't make it without them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment