Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My PEEK

Yesterday I had some enjoyable blogtime, reading 'PEEKS' into some special people's lives. Now maybe I should send this to Kristi but since I'm a bit lame with computer stuff, I'll just do it here. Hope you understand Kristi.

Now my PEEK will not have pictures because they don't allow cameras in this special part of my life. I tried once and got told!!! My PEEK is at the pool. I go to Dalplex pool every morning from Mon to Fri.. I have been going there for about five years. I could almost call it an addiction.

I'm sharing this as my PEEK because of my swim today. Here's why I love it so much. Today I headed down at 8:15am ( times vary) After some work in the Cybex room ( a new thing for me), I headed to the pool. I loooove the deep end, and after gathering up some equipment I dove in. My routine is usually like this....10 min. of breast stoke, 10 minutes with my body buoy ( works on the arm muscles), then 10 minutes with the flutter board ( works the legs) then the front crawl for 10....I slip in some on the back stuff but I'm not too good with this. Then I do about 20 min. of water running..my latest passion in the pool. Now I do vary this....and for fun I bring my snorkel set for when I'm doing the crawl ( cuts out the head turn to breathe)

Today was a snorkel day....and I think I ended up snorkeling for over 20 min. As I snorkel I let my imagination go and I swim pass the giant turtles of Turtle Bay in Maui, or I see the coral and multitudes of fish from Hanama Bay. Those are dear memories of mine, and when it's -11 outside it's nice to remember that trip.

Now another part of my pool adventure is the fun friends that I've made there. There's Barney* not his real name.....but he's there on Tues and Thurs and he always chats about all that is happening at the pool. He likes his own lane, and gets annoyed if anyone comes to his territory....he's a tiny guy ( used to be a runner) but we say he runs things! Then there's Martha*, who wont swim if anyone is in her lane ( she'll wait ) and Betty* who buses all the way in from Bedford to run in the pool. My friend, ML has been swimming there every day...long before I started. If I swim with her she likes to chat...so the swim isn't quite as rigorous....I end up staying longer. We chat about recipes, movies and books. She comes at 6am for 30 min....so I don't see her as often. There are many other characters but I won't ramble on with individual bios. Today though as I swam I thought of each of them from the Olympic Silver medalist who now coaches and plays the best music, to the Neuo.surgeon who loves Halloween decorations big time and likes to run with me on Wed..Once again it made me value the importance of friends in all circles of my life. I like to be friendly, and I have made some incredible friends along the way. I've even become a better swimmer because of it.

Lastly, I must say...swimming is a great exercise and such a peaceful time in my day. I'm deep in the depths of the pool....I've even swam to the bottom of the deep end....and it is a great place to meditate ( not on the bottom!), and think through the rest of the day. I do some of my best thinking there!!! I've even prayed in the pool. Having 60-90 min. down under really gives you some time for gaining perspective and with my crazy days, I need time for perspective. It's also so refreshing, and the hot shower after all is swam and done is fantastic. Give it a try sometime!!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been for a good swim in along time. Makes me want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with me Jackie. I went to water aerobics for a year and it was my favorite thing to do, not only for the health benefits but for the friends that you see and make. It's nice to read the peace and quiet joy in your words. We all need a bit of quiet contemplation each day in our crazy lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me wish I was a swimmer! Like I can swim....but I'm not good at wearing a bathing suit. I know...I'm lame. Good PEEK Mama O ;)

    ReplyDelete